We absolutely loved touring the Palace of Versailles and gardens (read our other post on the “10 Things to Do in Paris for Less Money” for more information), but before we arrived in France, we weren’t sure how we were going to get to the Palace of Versailles. Should we take a train, a bus, private tour, or could we bike there? After weighing our options, we decided on taking the train to Versailles. Below we try and answer all the questions we had about taking the train to make your life easier.
How Long Does it Take to Get from Paris to Versailles Train?
Versailles is roughly 20 miles outside the city of Paris. We were anticipating a bit of a journey on the train to Versailles knowing it takes 40 minutes to drive/taxi from Paris, but to our surprise, it was only 10 minutes longer via train. It took us 50 minutes door-to-door from our hotel, Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile, to the Palace of Versailles. However, depending on where you are staying in the city, I would recommend planning on it taking about 1 hour 10 minutes.
How Much Does it Cost to Get from Paris to Versailles via Train?
We purchased a one-way Metro ticket for €1,70 to get us there and €3,55 for the return ticket. NOTE: Buy your return ticket at the Versailles Metra station immediately after arriving!!! Most people leave Versailles around the same time causing long lines to purchase tickets from a limited amount of machines. We did not do this and were stuck in a long line of tourists who did not know how to use the ticketing machines making out wait even longer.
How to Get from Paris to Versailles via Train
1. Locate the Metra station closest to where you are staying. Click here for all the Metro stations in Paris. We recommend asking your hotel, hostel, or host family where the nearest metro station is located to make things easier. For example, we were staying at the Hyatt Regency Etoile Paris and our nearest metro station was Porte Maillot.
2. Within the metro station, find one of the green ticket kiosks or a ticket office to purchase your ticket. IMPORTANT NOTE: Keep this ticket as you will need it to exit the train station at your final destination!!!
3. Purchase a ticket towards Versailles-Rive Gauche (Versailles-Rive G), via the RER C southbound.
4. You will have to make a transfer at Champs de Mars/Tour Eiffel and change platforms to catch the RER train westbound to Versailles-Rive Gauche.
5. Once you arrive at Versailles- Rive Gauche, you will exit the train station, turn right on D10 (as all signs are pointing that way to the Palace). It’s a short walk up the street and then a left down D186 which will dead end into the Palace entrance.
6. Follow the same route, but in reverse to return to your starting destination 🙂
Happy traveling and we hope this helps you get from Paris to Versailles on a minimal budget! Let us know in the comments if you have any additional insight to help travelers get from Paris to Versailles easier.